1. Notepad++– One of the most popular text editors/source code editors that is available for free. If you’re looking for the best Notepad alternative, download Notepad++.
2. Caditor– Caditor is a open source tabbed text editing software that is written in .NET framework.
3. JEdit– JEdit is a free text editor that is especially designed for programmers. JEdit is available for Windows and Mac.
4. Notepad2– Notepad2 stands between MS Notepad and Notepad++. It has more features than notepad and simpler user interface than Notepad++. Notepad2 is a portable software for PC, you don’t need to install on your computer, simply unzip and run Notepad2.
5. Programmer’s Notepad– A free Multi-language Windows text editor for source code writing or editing.
6. Metapad– A very good alternative to MS Notepad. Metapad is available for free and has more features than Notepad.
7. ConTEXT– ConTEXT is a free and powerful text editor for Windows, it can be used for programming, code editing etc.
8. Crimson Editor– Crimson Editor is a solid and free text editing software for Microsoft Windows, it supports many languages and has many useful features that are very useful for programmers, such as- built-in FTP features, macros etc.
9. SciTE– SciTE is a very simple but full-featured text editor for Windows that can be used as a Notepad alternative.
10. PSPad– It is a free text/code editing software for Windows PC and useful for web devolapers. It also offers rich text formatting functions.